Saturday, September 07, 2024

Wagram Completion

 On Sunday August 25, 2024 the Nanaimo Historical Wargamers put on the third day of a WAGRAM game.


Nate had the hosting location, Rob did up some fantastic terrain, and there were miniatures from at least four collections brought together to mount this huge battle.

I arrived to the battle in full swing:


I shot this just as the lights came on.

I'm getting ahead of myself though ... I have already shared some of the data from the Friday and Saturday game sessions ... I was surprised to learn that on Friday just after I had some little chats about the setup, there was a FIRE ALARM!


this photo was sent to me likely only moments before the alarms sounded

This messed up the first night game action ...

Saturday was more sedate, with loads of movement from the French arriving.

They drove towards Aderklaa, which became the site of breaking the Austrian line.

Now I arrive seeing that Aderklaa was broken, the west wing of the Austrian army was going to be isolated and defeated in detail ... Bonaparte only had to decide if he would press hard on Deutches-Wagram or not ...

the model on the table representing Bonaparte

Seeing that the major battle was lost, I was determined to at least make a good show of the left flank and 'hem in' the French or maybe even make a dash for the bridgehead - even if only for the political value of having a squadron or two of Austrian cavalry show up in Vienna and send a shitty message to Paris.



Some good shots of the gaming crew, there were two of us added to the Austrian command, it appeared as though these two players doing Bonaparte and Charles had run a game of Aspern-Essling more than a decade ago, and this was the culmination of their plans to have a go at the second half of the 1809 campaign battles.

Enough chit chat, now the time-lapse of my part of the battle:



So I was on the Austrian left (east flank) and was given over command of much of the reserve heavy horse ... and its 6 horse batteries!

I was determined to push this force to the far left and use the guns to hurt Davout as much as possible while also screening for the 'eventual' arrival of Archduke John.

Sadly John would not arrive in time to do anything much (just like in history) and the commands I had were not of the A list category, indeed the heavy horse commander was a 4 rating with 4" range, I had failed at least once during the game to move him.

Beyond that "Charles" decided to countermand my orders and had me push all forces across the river into the face of the French - including a heavy cavalry force that could not reach its target in one move.

It was to be a suicide.

At least we had a few laughs.

I'll dump a few more other photos, then comment on the amazing terrain done by Rob.



Archduke John

Napoleon

Davout

panorama of the battlefield from the north, Austrian, side

Rob did a great job wit the terrain, as I have shared in a couple of earlier posts, here also is the custom storage system that he built to bring the terrain to the game location.





See more photos and commentary about the game HERE at Codstickers Historicals

 After the cleanup, there was some discussion about doing some more 'campaign' like events, where I suggested having a multi-column game setup similar to the ones I did back in 2020.

Mini-Campaign

No comments: