Tuesday, June 16, 2020

High Tech interlude

The Command and Conquer and Red Alert re-release on Steam was a big deal for our family.

I had the opportunity to beta test the game in 1995 while in Winnipeg and renting a room (and a closet full of computers - hosting a BBS) to a connected game player.  When we combined my basic military knowledge to the game inputs - BAM - a powerhouse was discovered.

We must have played for hours on that first set up, then after the release we figured out how to hack the connection of the computers via the printer hub and I joined the world of LAN parties.

Well, two of my older boys did get to experience the original game (before Windows operation systems changed too much and the game did not work any more).  Now though we have been able to head-to-head game in the old way and the fun has returned.

Along with the C&C my middle son has re-introduced me to Star Wars, Empire at War, with some amazing new mods that bring a new visual life to the game.




Needless to say this time usage has dropped my painting efforts, yet it has been great to connect this way with all three boys.  We will need to get another C&C copy for Steam, as we have a full 4 way game potential in just the house now.

No comments: