Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Gary Gygax, RIP

The original Role-Playing Game creator, Gary Gygax passed away today.

I played the original D&D and some AD&D from 1978 to about 1988 then moved on when 2nd edition became all the rage, still though we have to 'tip the hat' to Gary Gygax for his 'inventing' the modern role-playing game.

My favorite quotes from him are:

Understand the role of the game master and assist its fulfillment.

and

Winners are those who give the most.

Read more about this moment:
here
here
here
here and
here

2 comments:

Fitz-Badger said...

I saw him give a talk at Gencon in Lake Geneva back in the late 70's.

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I agree... immensely sad, and way too young... I got enormous fun from AD&D which I played way too much of in my earlier years... we owe a huge debt - even us historicals guys..