Saturday, February 15, 2020

Pirates Painting English and Spanish

Been a while since I posted about the painting progress over the past few months.

This December 2019, I started on 54 pirates from the wonderful Firelock Games for the Blood & Plunder game system.

The detail and research on these minis is really beyond comparison with others that I have encountered.

The minis are a bit larger in scale and have wood textured bases, so the finishing process takes longer.

In this posting I shall cover the finished product then some of the working done to reach this end.

a closeup of the whole English Pirates crew

There are some feature officers, including one Henry Morgan:

with flash

without flash
Then there's an officer that comes as part of the pirates crew boxed set:

English Officer
Then the crew:

militia

freebooters

sea dogs and forlorn hope
Then a shot of all of the English:

the whole English crew
Done at the same time were the Spanish pirates:

again there's a special officer, Manuel Rivero de Pardal:

with flash

without flash
Then the officer that is part of the boxed set

Spanish Officer
Then the Spanish crew:

lanceros

marineros and indios milicianos

milicianos
My wide angle shot of the whole Spanish forces were all out of focus (grr)

Progress of the minis below, as you can see getting a good photo of bare metal is really hard.

bare metal

base coat and 'dark brown' mix that I put under nearly all of my military minis

highlights and then color blocking

inking

color definition and boost

detail works

Finally there were two extra officers that came because of the web special order that I did to obtain these first forces:

I have turned them into somewhat particular pirates for planned games:

Orion Pirates

4 comments:

Peter said...

The figures and painting look absolutely splendid.

Phil said...

Diversified and splendid minis, great job!

Ross Mac rmacfa@gmail.com said...

Very attractive figures esp as painted.

(I think I need more coffee! I had trouble figuring out why a painted figure had flash on it and if you'd had to repaint after trimming it.....oh dear..eventually the 'light' came on!)

Unknown said...

Ross, you never fail to bring a smile.

😎