Saturday, June 08, 2013

Prussian Cavalry Painting Process

The Prussian Cavalry is now completed.

Prussian Cavalry on Minifig riders on Prince August horses
The final stage of the Prussian army, for now, the Cavalry was based coated on May 22, and had the flocking dried on June 4 2013.

the stages of painting, from base coat to gloss seal
Once again I used the 'white undercoat' and color undercoat with inks to quickly generate all the horses.  This batch of 36 only took the three nights to actually do (so some 4-6 hours total).

The final results are most certainly a table acceptable standard, though some of the horse castings had flaws that I simply overlooked.

Uhlans with the swords of the riders cut out and lances put in
I modified 4 of the minifig riders, by cutting out their swords and putting in lances, again using the tinfoil pennant technique.

Prussian Dragoons of minifig riders on Prince August horses
same castings as the Dragoons, slightly lighter coats for use as Landwher horse
The others were painted up in simple color patterns so the whole project came together quickly (once I was able to set aside the time to do the painting work).

Quite the improvement from the bare metal they all started as.

minifig riders on Prince August horse castings
With these horse units my 1813-15 Prussian Army is now complete, as I have it planned for the moment - I understand the drive for 'ever larger' Napoleonic armies and now I look forward to having them on the table very soon as part of the Campaign of Nations games.

8 comments:

Rafael Pardo said...

A fast painting method it seems!
I like the lance pmnants
Regards
Rafa

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

A good combination.. Minifigs horses always seem to be a little large in the "rear", the Prince August ones are much better

Jiminho said...

Holy smokes - more cavalry painted up! Nicely done too, you are going to have your game table groaning under the weight of all this new lead.

So, russians, Swedes, Austrians, Prussians... check check, check and check. What is next? Some French Allies? Saxons perhaps?

MurdocK said...

Thanks Gents,

Your comments boost me to keep going.

I have some tricornes in white that I have used as Saxon fill-ins in the past. I'll have to see what casting time comes available to generate the French uniforms (that I had some thoughts to do) which would work as Saxons from the latter half of the period.

James Fisher, FINS said...

Amazing level of output David and a great paint job too.

Pity that they are all gonna flounder trying to cross the Spree... ha, ha!

MurdocK said...

at the Spree, perhaps, not in Marienburg, which is looking like the first 'exercise' for the combined arms of Prussia ...

James Fisher, FINS said...

Just a bit of campaign sledging David, it's a national pass-time, you see!

Archduke Piccolo said...

Very briskly done! Just on the pennons. Although tin-foil makes great flags and pennons, they tend to be very fragile in my experience, and get tired over the years. I recommend paper. It's tough, you can still 'drape' it to some extent, but the the other virtue is, if you colour them with paint pen/ OHP pens and leave white self coloured, you get a nicely vexillological translucence of the metals (white and yellow) on the shadow side of the flag.

Just a thought. I like your pennons as they are.