Friday, May 23, 2008

Redcoats get their first coat (of paint that is...)

I have a number of 'in-progress' images that I will be transforming into a 'step-by-step' diagram of how I produce large numbers of red coats without much 'bleed' over and still have nice bright colors mixing with good dark shadows.

However daddy daycare has taken over and I do not have the time to finish it all today.

Expect more over the weekend.

Thursday, May 22, 2008

Prinz Robert (the) Axe

One miniature has been dispatched, along with some supplies to Der Alte Fritz to gain some experience commanding a few redcoats.

I waved farewell to him before carefully packing him for his journey to the Prince's Troop Depot.

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Progress on Austrians.

The last batch of Austrians may be ready to finish this week (provided I can spare the time...)

The muskets are all 'wooded' now and packs etc are filled in. Next up will be barrels & bindings then some metallics.

Then will be the last 'white' layer on the tops of the uniforms and then the collars & cuffs.

Finally will be the minwax 'dip' coat. Something I hope to be doing by sunday!

Sunday, May 18, 2008

The redcoats are coming...

I have been very busy with cleaning flash from the 100's of belgic SHAKO wearing British Infantry.

So far I have done 240+/- of them and have 64 on painting sticks with basecoat on them awaiting brush action today.

I like to clean the figs with a pair of flush-cut clippers that I have and then use a heavy metal file to get the bases FLAT.

From there I tend to clean off the bulk flash with the clippers, followed by some blade trimming and finally into the use of my favorite tool a semi-round, diamond cross cut, micro-metal file which I have found most useful for almost all areas of flash detail cleaning.

The slow progress has come due to the need to work a lot suddenly which has taken me away from many of my other projects...for now hobby still has to be rather low on the list.

After finishing a few hours out at the beach with the children I am now ready to focus on revving up the brushes!

Monday, May 05, 2008

Some more least a little.

With some much more for me to study and do around the house (now that the rains have stopped) I am having the usual slow down in painting progress being combined with a real crunch in work study time.

However I did get in an hour or so on sunday and have the horse ready to take inks (tonight I hope) and have the foot ready for detail layers (lots of small leather and wood bits along with the flagpoles then the metallics). Though the details are not likely to be advanced for another week or so.

I did also get 4 battalions of British mounted to sticks and base coated -> the redcoats are coming!

Friday, May 02, 2008

More progress...

Brush action tonight, at least an hour or so.

Got more done on the Austrian Infantry, did a layer on the Hussars and managed to get 4 battalions of British Infantry mounted to the painting sticks (after cleaning during the week).

The painting spaces have also been re-vamped so I should be able to get in 1/2 hour or so a day in painting time. Something I shall need in order to get the British Peninsular forces whipped into shape in time for Vimeiro (and likely more Peninsular actions afterwards)!