Monday, January 12, 2015

Games on the road

I have always praised the card games, even Magic, for their portability.

This past weekend was one of a few this coming winter and spring where I will be on the road for much of the time.
Eagles, now 20 years old!  Artwork by Eric Hotz

It was nice to have Eagles, by Columbia Games, along so that my son and I could connect over a few games while marking time on the ferries that we must take to come and go off Vancouver Island.
to get a sense of scale, that is an 11 year old standing past the white Queen

While in Seattle center, my middle son made sure to challenge me to a chess game with the mega-board that they have there.

What travel games do you engage in?

5 comments:

Archduke Piccolo said...

A rather wild and woolly chess game going there. But White is in a spot of bother methinks. I did try 'blindfold' chess (which is just chess without a board and set of pieces) whilst travelling, once (to a chess tournament). It did not go well.

tradgardmastare said...

I don't play games when commuting daily but I often use the time to make notes about/plan my wargaming projects.

Jonathan Freitag said...

Eagles! I have not had that out in, well, about 20 years! Still have my collected cards in a binder. Never did manage to get a complete set.

When I commute to Seattle for work one week per month, I usually take along a small wargame such as a S&T, Command, Wargamer, or Vae Victus. Sometimes, I pack the Commands & Colors miniatures for evening solo games.

More often, evenings in the hotel are spent reading, blogging, and making project plans.

MurdocK said...

Jonathan, I did not have a complete set either and the card packs were not in the game stores any more. Yet I did have a lot of extra Dixie cards for Gettysburg, so I talked with Columbia Games and they were willing to do 2:1 trades Dixie for Eagles so that I could get a complete set.

Since you travel to Seattle I am guessing that you live near Blaine?

A quick phone call could determine if any Eagles cards are still around ... then the negotiation starts.

Jonathan Freitag said...

No, I live on the other side of Washington State in Spokane. That makes my commute about 600 miles roundtrip!