Thursday, May 29, 2014

Boardgame Diversion - Squad Leader

The Guards Counter Attack, Scenario 1 of Squad Leader
I did a Squad Leader game with my eldest son on Monday - during the one-day strike action of the teachers.

There was curiosity, though I suspect he was not truly keen on the game system.

WWII games had a lot of following in the 1980's and 90's.  While I see the Flames of War stuff from time to time, I just cannot get excited about the minis systems, anywhere near as much as I was about Squad Leader.

4 comments:

Bluebear Jeff said...

As with Napoleonics, I have never had any interest in gaming WWII either.

Yes, I know that both are very popular periods with most wargamers (quite possibly the two most popular) but neither has ever piqued my interest.


-- Jeff

Archduke Piccolo said...

There is a miniatures version of Squad Leader kicking around. I'll see if I can find some info on it.

Time was I tried to create a miniatures version myself, but lacking the actual game and relying upon an imperfect memory didn't get very far with it.

Itinerant said...

I really like those maps

MurdocK said...

Yes Jeff, with the WWII games you and I are on the same page (for minis) - I do like some WWII computer and board-games.

The Advanced Squad Leader system (with larger maps and hexes) worked well with any 6mm miniatures - as it was designed for use with them. As I understand it a baseball pitcher bought the rights to ASL and has re-released it.

The Avalon Hill maps were always a treat to use. I played in one ASL game and liked the 'bigger' hexes as they did not change the size of the squad's 'pieces' only the vehicles.